Friday, August 22, 2008

A Wee Bit Busy

I do have new projects to show off, but they aren't finished, and I haven't had much time to work on them. I'm also currently without a camera, having just started school, so it may be a short while before my next post!

Friday, August 8, 2008

Sew Organized

I have needed to get more organized for a long time. But with the addition of a very small dorm room next semester (although I am on my own and not sharing it, thank goodness), it really, really, needed to happen. Which meant that the first step was finding space for all my finished objects - all those hats and scarves that you see me knitting all the time have to live somewhere, right? (Well, some of them have homes in other states, but we aren't talking about those right now...)

So, I went on a google escapade and found myself some nifty tutorials for making box bags. You know, bags that have a boxy shape and store things somehow better than the regular kind? They've got a tough bottom that makes them perfect for knitting projects, and for hanging on little hooks in your wall and still looking attractive. Which is exactly the sort of thing you need in a dorm room that you're pretending is an apartment. Attractive things on your walls. My 'theme' colors for the room are very bright - I was quite inspired by Jane Brockett's uses of colors like hot pink, teal, yellow and green - so I needed bags that would fit into this color scheme. Thank goodness Wal*Mart, which usually has nothing I like, had something worth using.

I chose a very traditional blue and white toile and lined it with a hot pink leaf pattern, then used the same leaf pattern in a teal color with a traditional yellow and white scroll plant cotton. The last bag was the same lining as the green, with the most wonderfully hideous color of yellow I could find. There is something about mustard yellow that delights me to no end. Especially using it. The sewing was relatively easy, I used this tutorial. I did make a single modification - using interfacing between the cotton-cotton layers to keep them from showing through when sewn together and give the bag a little extra oomph (some of the cottons were pretty flimsy). When I iron cotton, I always use starch so that the pieces not only keep the wrinkles out, but have some stiffness in the finished product.

And voila, delicious little box bags perfect for keeping hat and scarf sets in!

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Set in Motion



So, I finally have a bit of time off from work and have taken some of it to spin (among various other things that will be mentioned quite soon!) As many of you know, Molly sent me some absolutely lovely corriedale fiber, for no particular reason, in both a teal and jade (brighter teal) colorway. I've decided to try and spin a large amount of it up in the next two weeks, so I've been working hard on singles.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to enter the finished yarn into the monthly contest in the Spindler's group on Ravelry. The theme for September is 'rock groups', and I think if I ply the jade with some copper thread it would look a lot like turquoise. Otherwise, I'm aiming for a high-tension 2-ply of the teal and jade. The singles this time around have been a lot easier and a lot prettier than my original spinning, which shall not be named or shown. Ever. It was with a nightmare fiber from a very greasy sheep, and probably a mutton sheep to begin with, not a real fleece sheep. But here, for your enjoyment, are some singles:



Fiber: Louet Corriedale, colorway 'Teal'
Gifted from Molly (Riprap, on Ravelry)
Spindle: Butterfly Girl Designs - Lacy Agate Spindle (2-set)